SPUTNIK PHOTOS INTERNATIONAL MENTORING PROGRAMME
The SPMP is an intensive international course, conducted in English, during which students work in close cooperation with various mentors – photographers from Sputnik Photos – on creating their own photo series. Together, they go through all the stages of work on the project, getting to know every part of the creative process – from idea to implementation – leading to the creation of a coherent photographic statement.
• Each participant works under the guidance of one of five mentors, in both “one on one” sessions and online consultations.
• They can consult all the mentors.
• A portfolio review session takes place with all the mentors.
• Over 100 hours of classes.
The programme also includes workshops based on theoretical texts on photography, allowing for a deeper consideration of the creation of artistic series.
An important aspect of the course is networking: meeting invited guests, live streaming, private views of exhibitions, and book promotions.
The SPMP culminates in selected photo series being presented in a collective publication. The book is sent to the most important institutions and representatives of culture around the world.
Enrolment for the 1st international edition of the SPMP is open until June 15th, 2019 .
WHO IS THE PROGRAMME FOR?
The international SPMP is intended for people who have a cohesive portfolio, an idea for a project that they would like to realise during the course, and enough motivation to work intensively for a whole year.
We welcome graduates of photography schools, art colleges and also people without any formal artistic education.
WHAT SKILLS DOES IT DEVELOP?
Participants in the international SPMP will learn how to build complex, artistic statements based on the image. They will become acquainted with, in theory and in practice, the process of working on a long-term project, including:
• topic selection and research
• interpretation of a topic
• working with a hero
• choosing the right narrative
• building contexts and the role of text
• editing and sequencing photos
• presentation methods
4 three-day get-togethers from October 2019 to May 2020:
• classes take place in Warsaw, at 20 Chłodna Street
• as part of the get-togethers, there will be one-on-one mentoring sessions, meetings with guests, live streaming, portfolio reviews with all mentors, and group feedback sessions.
• Introduction: the social, cultural and artistic contexts of photography; the basics of critical thinking regarding the photographic image (workshop).
• Searching for a topic, research, the process of working on a long-term project.
• Different ways to build and create photographic narratives.
• Art coaching workshop.
• Working with a hero.
• Contemporary trends in documentary photography, working with photographic archives, the limits of art and photography.
• The role of the title and text in the project.
• Editing and sequencing photos in a photographic series.
• Presenting projects, publishing and promoting a photographic project.
GUESTS / LIVE STREAMING
Ann Christin Bertrandt
The cost of producing the collective book is partially included in the tuition fee.
SCHEDULE OF GET-TOGETHERS IN 2019/2020
Please send the form and your portfolio by June 15th, 2019. Enrolment is contingent on the portfolio and an interview. Conversations take place in Warsaw at 20 Chłodna Street or via Skype.
DO YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE INTERNATIONAL MENTORING PROGRAMME?Send your application
© 2019 Sputnik Photos. All Rights Reserved.